In Queensland, prisoners may be in the custody of Queensland Corrective Services, the police or in some situations, a health institution. Prisoners may need legal assistance for a number of issues including bail, probation, the payment of fines or appealing a criminal conviction.
- Publications by Prisoners' Legal ServicePrisoners' Legal Service Inc is a community legal centre providing free legal advice in kits and pamphlets to incarcerated persons and their families on matters relating to imprisonment throughout Queensland.
- Prisoner information booklet - Queensland Corrective Services
- Standard guidelines for corrections in Australia - Queensland Corrective Services and other State and Federal Corrective Services agencies
- Prisoners' Legal Service Inc - Prisoners' Legal Service Inc is a community legal centre providing free legal advice to incarcerated persons and their families on matters relating to imprisonment throughout Queensland.
- Catholic Prison Ministry - The Catholic Prison Ministry provides a range of services to people affected by the criminal justice system including through prison release programs, court support, family support and advocacy, referral and networking.
- You may wish to approach a community legal centre for assistance. To find your nearest community legal centre, please visit the Community Legal Centres Queensland website at www.communitylegalqld.org.au . There are a number of community legal centres throughout Queensland that hold regular advice sessions.
- LawRight is an independent, not-for-profit, community-based legal organisation that operates a civil law referral service for pro bono legal representation and direct legal services for particular disadvantaged client groups.For more information about the help available, and the process for applying for help, please see the LawRight website at www.lawright.org.au